Game store carpet, Paris via keepbusy
Earth isn’t flat but this carpet is. Curving lines produce the illusion that the floor is wildly uneven terrain. (This Parisian game store’s trippy — watch out for that dip.)
Lines, stripes, grids have tremendous influence on our visual comprehension. This blogpost looks at some uses in the visual arts.
In the next three examples note how differently each artist creates and contours with line.
What a famed Venetian glass artist can do with a batch of same-sized glass canes (rods).
And what a French fashion luminary can do with striped fabric in a room.
Bridget Riley + her art, photo via Gallerist
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial The perfectly-tuned monument that introduced Maya Lin to most of us.
- Civil Rights Memorial
- Wave Field at Storm King
- Wax Architects, Beijing & Munich. Urban design, architecture design, interior design, geometry consultancy.
- Stripes Field A series of stripes are generated translating vector properties into spacial organisations. Software: Maya fluid dynamics, Maya Mel.
- Compare this simpler vector field torus
- Lino Tagliapietra in Retrospect: A Modern Renaissance in Glass
- on YouTube, Lino Tagliapietra
- Lerner Contemporary Glass Collection